Friday 28 March 2014

Bolt Action: US Parachute Rifle Platoon 1942-44.

As a lead on from my last post, here is the organisation of a US Airborne Parachute Rifle Platoon as would be found operating in Tunisia.

Copyright Osprey Publishing. Used without permission.

Although they're not listed in the official T/O&E, in December 1942 a special order was issued supplying four bazooka's to each Parachute Rife Company. These were normally distributed one per rifle platoon, with the fourth going to the Company HQ. No dedicated operators were ever added to the rifle platoon T/O&E for the Bazooka. Much like the two platoon HQ LMG's, it was assigned to members of the platoon HQ  or one of the squads as needed.

Note the complete absence of BAR's from this T/O&E. Something I'll have to remember when it comes to ordering miniatures for my platoon. Instead, I'll model two man .30 cal teams as my squad LMG's (in bolt action, squad LMG's have just two crew). The three man LMG teams from the Platoon HQ and Mortar Squad will count as MMG's.

Bolt Action Parachute Infantry Platoon:

In Bolt Action terms, I would use the following force selections to depict my Parachute Rifle Platoon:

Platoon HQ 
1st Lt and 1 additional SMG (Platoon Leader plus Platoon Sgt)
FAO and 1 rifleman with SMG (Asst Platoon Leader plus Radio Operator)
MMG Team (Radio and Code Corporal plus two Messengers)

1st Rifle Squad:
9 Men - 1x Sgt, 1xSMG, 2 man LMG (I'll use a .30 as I would for a MMG but give it just two crew), 5 Riflemen,

2nd Rifle Squad:
As Above

Mortar Squad:
Medium Mortar Team (3 men)
MMG Team (3 men)

Bazooka Team:
2 Men (1 from each Rifle Squad)

Once these building blocks have been purchased, I'll add Pioneer Squads to represent members of the Battalion Demolitions Platoon plus a Medic and (possibly) some vehicles in support.







4 comments: